Yet again I feel the need to address the role of this discussion. The why, if you will. Why should we engage in defining art, or more generally why should we even engage in the discussion of art? Perhaps I feel the need to defend this on account of the numerous friends I have who by attending art schools have become rather elitist in their opinions, believing that they are the only authorities on which art can be discussed. I want to say to them here and now that that couldn’t be further from the truth. I could spend much more than one post and my beliefs on these institutions that call themselves art schools but that isn’t the purpose of this post. For today I want to state clear and simply my manifesto as an artist and in homage to other artists who realize what art really is.
Me Manifesto of Artistic Artistry Relevance:
1. Art is in everything and everything is in art. Artists do not create Art, they create art. We the spectators, the viewers, the readers, the observers, the audience, the listeners, the society in which this cult is supported are the creators of Art.
2. Art cannot exist on its own.
3. Art is not a person, place or thing and it is definitely not a noun!
4. Art is an interaction!!!! An experience, a conversation that communicates what some call the ineffable, what I just call art.
5. Artists are everyone!
6. A self identified artist should never be trusted!
7. Art schools are just bricks and mortar.
8. Manifestos are works of art, not political statements.
9. You are an artist.
10. Art does not live.
11. Art can turn a profit. Art should turn a profit.
12. To talk about art is to acknowledge your own existence in this world.
13. To not talk about art is to live passively.
14. As we describe art as being active and challenging, so is the discussion, anything else is entertainment.
15. Dali is a sell out!
16. The Mona Lisa is no longer art!
17. Fountain is the greatest experience of the twentieth century
18. Disney has brought us the twenty first.
19. This should cost $2.67
21. art is worthless and does not bring us anything to better our society.
22. Ignore statement twenty and refer to statement five when dealing with liars
23. Periods should not exist.
24. Is this Art?